Friday, February 4, 2011

Fifty-two on Fridays: Signs

Welcome back to my Project 52, or Fifty-two on Fridays.


The Project 52 is a creative photography endeavor by 18 different photograhers worldwide participating in a blog-circle. In this project we all work from the same theme each week, putting our own creative spin and vision into the project. Remember at the bottom of my post is the link to the next wonderful photographer and her take on each week's theme. Please check out our previous posts, to catch up on the creative sharing for the month of January. Blog love, is loved!


It's the first week of February, and our blog-circle theme is, Signs. I knew immediately what I wanted to photograph, and the more I thought about it...it quickly became my back up option (see my outtake, I'll explain later).
When I was thinking about Signs, I was thinking about how a single sign or symbol can represent an entire brand, a thought, a perception, and how incredibly pervasive a sign may become. Take for example, McDonalds golden arches, Starbucks siren, or Apple's, Apple. All of these are signs that alone without words or print, point us in one single direction, and an associated identity.


My interpretation of the theme, Signs, is Peace. Peace the word, when spoken in different languages, for obvious reasons sounds different. Peace by definition or in print, may also mean different things to different people. But the sign for peace, is clearly understood around the world, and understood without the utterance of words or print.


My interpretation of Signs



Now for my outtake.  When I thought of photographing signs, I immediately thought about photographing a tile designed into the words SHALOM.  This tile sign sit's at the base of a set of stairs that I climb every morning with the children in front of their preschool.  It is the staircase to the place where I leave my children to be cared for while I am at work.  I have wanted to photograph this sign for many years now, and this project gave me the push to do it.


Shalom is a hebrew word meaning PEACE.


Now, please go check out the amazing photographer Shauna, at  Simply Shauna Photography.

10 comments:

  1. Funny, I made my son do a peace sign too, but the heart won! That is cool! I also love the shalom picture. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the shalom pictures.....there's this peacefullness about it that I really like. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delightful pic of my grandson! Peace to you all too. Beautiful creativity. Shalom on your day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! What a sweet little guy.. and love that Shalom sign!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi jayme,
    love these images so much.
    that Shalom that greets you each day is fabulous.
    (thanks so much for all your kind words...you are so sweet. i don't have a studio...i wish i did, but just a bay window in my dining room ;))
    have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delightful interpretation of this theme! Love both of these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love both of these pictures! we were thinking along similar lines this week! your picture of your little one looks a lot like the one I have of my oldest doing the sign for "i love you!" Great minds think alike! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoops I commented on the next post which was little girl who needs a nap-thought that was "sign someone is tired!" ha ha. Love this too-the shalom sign-you should blow that up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your son is too cute.

    What a lovely reminder you see as you start your day!

    ReplyDelete