Friday, May 21, 2010

Photo editting: Blogging all about Pebbles and Bam Bam

Let me just say that this post won't have any pictures (insert sad face here). Nate just loaded a solid state hard drive (Intel, of course) on our Mac and he is transferring all of our files over to the new hard drive. Along with this upgrade came Photoshop Cs5 for me. I opened up the program last night to test drive, and let me tell you...the full version of PS has overwhelmed me. I feel stunned, frozen, and unable to process my photos (insert catatonic picture of me here). I am hoping that as I get over the inital shock of the Cs5 that it will be like riding a bike, something you don't forget (except CS5 is the super duper titantium version of your old aluminum bike). I will keep you posted on my progress...

In the mean time, since launching my blog I have recieved lots of personal emails from friends and family asking me about the equipment, software, books, forums, blogs that I use or can't live without. So here's a list of some of those things...

Equipment: My darling little Rebel XSi and my 50 mm 1.8 prime lens. I am saving for an upgrade to a full frame body, until then I am trying to "rock" the camera I've got. My 50 mm 1.8 lens never leaves my camera. I sold my kit lens and 55 - 250 VR lens because I never ever used them. This lens is referred to as the "nifty fifty", and if you don't own one I would highly recommend getting one. This lens is a gem, it goes down to a wide aperture of 1.8, allowing you to shoot in low light indoors without the dreaded flash. Best of all it is under a $100 buck! Camera bag: 4 million dollar Crumpler, a wonderful gift from my in-laws for Christmas! Love it!

Software: Currently I have PSE 6 and PS CS5. I have also downloaded the Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) plug-in for both PSE and PS since I shoot in RAW 100% of the time. I also use the Spyder 1 Express monitor calibration software. This software is particularly important for getting the skin tones right in post-processing. I periodically will use Actions or presets (free/purchased) on my photos. I am still trying to find my own style, and sometimes the use of actions define your style for you, so I use them sparingly right now. But if you were to ask me what Actions I have in my PS pallette, here they are: Pioneer Women. Florabella. My4hens. MCP Actions. Paint the Moon.

Books: The best book about photography that I have read is Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera by Bryan Peterson. Since reading this book I have become much more comfortable shooting in manual. For anyone who wants to learn about the relationship between aperture, iso, shutter speed, get this book! Because I prefer to photograph in natural light as much as possible, I also really like the book Available Light: Photographic Techniques for Using Existing Light Sources. For post-processing references, I frequently will find myself flipping through Layers: The Complete Guide to Photoshop's Most Powerful Feature. Additionally, since Adobe doesn't provide a manual for PSE or full versions of PS I have purchased such titles as Photoshop Elements 6 for Mac: The Missing Manual. I have loads of other photography books, but these are the ones that I grab most often!

Forums: I am a huge fan of Clickin Moms. This forum cost $50 for a one year subscription. So far I think it is money well spent. The people on this forum are very helpful to the photography enthusiast and the professional alike. In the forums, there is opportunity to get critique on photos, learn post-processing, learn the basics and not-so-basics of photography, learn technique with on and off-camera flash, photo challenges, business questions, and the occasional non-photography related topics. The other forum that I will sometimes frequent is Ilovephotography (ILP). Aspects of this forum are free to the general public. This forum has a wealth of information as well. I've just started checking out this site, so most of my opinions aren't solid yet.

Blogs and other resources: I have listed the blogs that I most often read along the sidebar under "my blog list". For more of a community blog, I would definitely check out Iheartfaces.com. For inspirational lifestyle photography: Tara Whitney and Jinky Art. For a wonderful babies, children's, family photography: Derksen Photography (she is a friend of Nate's from highschool who is VERY talented!). For one-on-one photoshop training I have completed a few sessions with Damien Symond via Skype. This guy knows his stuff, teaches clearly, and has a lovely Aussie accent. Lastly, I thought I would list out some of the workshops that I have heard about that could be interesting to those of you wanting to take their camera's off AUTO mode and learn how to shoot in manual, shoot creatively, or learn some post-processing techniques: Bloom Workshop, Cori Derksen Photography Workshop, Karen Russell's Photographers Workshop, The image is found ShootShops, Maggie Holmes Workshops, The Natural Light Workshop, SnapHappy Workshops, MCP Action on-line Photoshop classes, Kylie Phaunts Naked on-line Photoshop classes.

Anyhoo...just thought I would share today.

2 comments:

  1. Very helpful commentary on what you're learning. ...miss the pics....soon you'll be back in business...once the catatonic state passes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for selling your old lenses to...ME! Maybe I will learn to use them someday.

    ReplyDelete